Transparency on environmental impact: Mobilizing for systemic change
Location: SDG Pavilion, Blue Zone (Area B, P29)
Date: 8 November 2022
Time: 10:00 – 11:00 (EET)
Description: Everyone agrees – current progress to preserve and protect our planet is not sufficient. Transparency on the impact we as humans and our businesses have is a key starting point towards accelerating targeted action. However, this transparency does not exist today. What is lacking are methods to accurately and consistently quantify this impact, but also technological tools and infrastructures to share data, between companies and with key stakeholders in the ecosystem.
Significant efforts are being made to bridge this gap, but often focus on a particular area, e.g., nature, biodiversity, oceans, carbon or inequality. With similar challenges arising across the board when it comes to transparency and given the interconnected nature of our systems, it is time to start making the connection and work on this issue jointly. The aim is to commence this conversation at COP27, with a view to bringing the climate and nature transparency agendas closer together. To this end, we will be looking to host a follow-on session at the UN Biodiversity Conference (COP 15) in Montreal.
This session will bring together a wide range of stakeholders, from businesses to NGOs and civil society, to discuss progress made so far, establish key learning, and jointly define how we can accelerate broader environmental transparency.
- Thomas Crowther, Assistant Professor for Global Ecosystem Ecology, ETH Zurich, Founder of Restor & Winner of 2021 Earthshot Prize
- Hiro Mizuno, Special Envoy on Innovative Finance and Sustainable Investments, United Nations & Member of Steering Committee of the Council for Inclusive Capitalism
- Dario Liguti, Director, Sustainable Energy, United Nations Economic Commission for Europe
- Marcelo Furtado, Co-Lead of the Secretariat, Taskforce on Nature Markets and Principal, Finance for Biodiversity
- Gabriela Burian, Global Head of Multi-Stakeholder Partnerships, Stakeholders Affairs & Strategic Partnerships, Bayer
- Anna Stanley-Radière, Director, Climate Transparency, WBCSD
For any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.